Monday, January 22, 2007

Snow Cream!!

My neighbor  mentioned snow cream when we had the last  really big snow, and this time  after we got a few good inches  (4-6)  one of the kids said we could make snow ice cream.. it would be snow cream. Thus jogging my memory. So I googled snow ice cream and came up with quite a few recipes, this is the one I used. I do believe next time I will use a pasturized egg product, as my husband was iffy about consuming raw egg. Some recipes did not call for egg and used regular milk rather than evaporated milk, I made a smaller test batch with regular milk and splenda, it was much lighter and the splenda needed a tablespoon or so of regular sugar for the taste. It was great stuff and the cost to make it is pretty minimal, the costliest ingredient is the evaporated milk.


INGREDIENTS

  • 1 (12 fluid ounce) can evaporated milk
  • 2 eggs, beaten
  • 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 3/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 gallon snow

DIRECTIONS

  1. In a large bowl, combine evaporated milk, eggs, vanilla and sugar until smooth. Gradually stir in snow until mixture reaches desired consistency. Eat at once.

This recipe contains raw eggs. Pregnant women, young children, the elderly should not consume raw eggs.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

4 comments:

  1. Is this more like sorbet than ice cream?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It might be. Is sorbet the same consistency as sherbert? it was kinda chunky-esque.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeesch, you would have thought living in all that midwestern snow I would know of Snowcream. Had I known...Thanks for sharing. I'm heading up to the Sierra's -- this'll come in handy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm 34 lived here all my life didn't know about it until this winter.... go figure.

    ReplyDelete