Monday, December 17, 2007

The home sweet home of food

We tend to make spaghetti with jarred sauce at our house. I like the chunky vegetable sauces. And I dont make those myself. Last night we didn't have any jar sauce, but I had all teh ingredients to make the sauce my Mom has always made growing up.  The simple sauce that she learned to make from Big Grandma, my dad's paternal grandmother, whose mother was Italian (her father was French, and she apparently had a temper to beat all)

It isn't hard to make, brown some butter toss in garlic and chopped onion to saute, smash the garlic once its soft [add cooked ground beef if you want, and diced tomato if you like, (or any other extras that sound good)] add  two cans of tomato paste and equal amounts of water, then toss in spices, rosemary, parsley, oregano and basil, (I grind them with the mortar and pestle) bring to a bubbling then turn down to simmer.

No big deal to make. I forgot how much I like it, it is the Home Sweet Home of food for me.  Every Italian dish ever made at our house from Big Grandma's recipes started the same way, brown butter and saute garlic. Ah yummy. I'm going to have the leftovers for brunch.

Read and post comments | Send to a friend

2 comments:

  1. That sounds good I may have to try that I always buy the same sauce 4 Cheese ..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Like I said we were locked into jarred sauce.... and I forgot how much I missed real sauce. Its super easy too. I use 4 or 5 garlic cloves(my mom uses 2 or 3) and one onion normally, but you can adjust any of it to your own taste.(and just a pound of ground beef) If you give it a try let me know if you like it!

    ReplyDelete